After a week or two of indulging in vacation treats, it can be difficult to get back into the routine of healthy eating. But with a little planning, it can be done!
Here are some tips and ideas for planning for healthy eating the week after getting back from vacation:
The week before you leave
- The week before you leave for vacation, do some meal planning ahead of time for the week of your return by taking the inventory of what you already have on hand and what you want to eat when you get back home
- If possible, meal prep meals that can be frozen into individual portions, and heated up in the microwave when you return from vacation. Here are a few examples of healthy freezable meals
- Soups and stews - These are great options because they often taste even better when made in advance and frozen. Simply let them cool completely, then transfer them to airtight containers or freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Casseroles - Casseroles are another great option because they can be made in large batches and then frozen in individual portions. This way, you can defrost and reheat only what you need for a quick and easy meal.
- Chili - Chili is another great option because it can be made in large batches and then frozen in individual portions for quick and easy meals. Simply let the chili cool completely, then transfer it to airtight containers or freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months.
See our article on the top 10 meals to freeze
- Stock up on healthy frozen foods (meats, quiches, soups, etc.) such as the ones from Les 3 chefs
- Pre-order meals from catering services such as WeCook or Isabelle Huot for healthy pre-made meals that arrive on your doorstep or order from meal kit services such as Cookit, HelloFresh or Goodfood box
A few days before you return from vacation
- Plan for grocery delivery to arrive on the day that you get back. Several grocers such as Metro, IGA, Maxi etc now offer the option to order groceries 1-3 days before the planned delivery day. As a bonus, select your grocery items before you leave, based on your meal planning, then place your order closer to your arrival date
When you return from vacation
- Avoid skipping meals even if you overindulge on vacation, as this can lead to restriction and overcompensation cycles. Get back into your normal eating routine (ex: 3 meals and 1 snack)
- Start defrosting your frozen meals or enjoy your catering service and meal kit options!
In conclusion, planning for healthy eating the week after getting back from vacation can help you get back on track and avoid falling into unhealthy eating habits. By doing a bit of planning ahead of time, meal prepping or by placing your grocery orders or catering service orders in advance, you’ll be back into your healthy eating habits in no time!
If you need more ideas or need support, our nutritionists-dietitians will be pleased to help you. Contact us before you leave for holidays so you could have an appointment for the new beginning of the year.