Looking for a hearty and flavorful chili recipe? Packed with savory beef, a medley of vegetables, and nutritious legumes, this recipe is a satisfying and nutritious option. Get cooking and warm up with a bowl of this delicious chili.
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 625 ml (2 ½ cup) peeled and diced carrots
- 1 large yellow or orange pepper, diced
- 1 package (227 g) white mushrooms, diced
- 450 g extra lean ground beef
- 1 can (540 ml (19 oz) can) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (796 ml (28 oz) can) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (156 ml (5.5 oz) can) tomato paste
- 500 ml (2 cup) water
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground cumin
- 10 ml (2 tsp) paprika
- 10 ml (2 tsp) chili powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) cinnamon
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) Cayenne pepper
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) garlic powder
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground ginger
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) fresh coriander, chopped (optional)
- 1 avocado (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat and add the garlic and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the ground beef and cook for about 10 minutes before adding the carrots, peppers, mushrooms, spices and oregano. Cook for about 5 minutes, with stirring. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chilli’s consistency is thick. Stir from time to time.
- Add the red beans, and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Adjust the seasoning. Pour the chili into bowls and add the coriander and 2-3 thin slices of avocado (optional).