Dietitian for Eating Disorders
Our team of registered dietitians specialized in eating disorders support you in developing a better relationship with food and your body.
Are you constantly preoccupied by your weight, your appearance, or by what you eat? Do you feel like food takes too much room in your thoughts and your life? This section could be for you. Eating disorders can affect people of any age, gender, body type, ethnicity, or socio-economic status. These disorders come with intense negative emotions related to food (shame, guilt, and the feeling of isolation) and can cause serious health problems.
You might feel like you're alone in your journey. However, there is help available to guide you towards a healthier and more positive relationship with food. Our registered dietitians specialize in providing nutritional therapy for individuals with eating disorders, and we're here to support you every step of the way.
Main Eating Disorders Treated by Our Dietitians
This disorder is characterized by an intense fear of gaining weight, a distorted body image, and a significantly low body weight.
Bulimia is an eating disorder that involves binge-eating followed by purging behaviours such as self-induced vomiting, laxative use, or excessive exercise.
Binge Eating Disorder
Binge Eating Disorder involves recurrent episodes of consuming large amounts of food accompanied by feelings of loss of control over eating.
Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID)
This disorder involves a persistent avoidance or restriction of food intake due to a lack of interest in eating, sensory sensitivity, or fear of aversive consequences.
Other Specified Feeding or Eating Disorders (OSFED)
OSFED includes any types of eating disorders that don't fit the criteria for anorexia, bulimia, or binge eating disorder.
- Orthorexia : obsession with healthy or clean eating, accompanied by profound guilt or shame when foods perceived as unhealthy are consumed.
- Bigorexia or muscle dysmorphia : obsession over feelings of being too thin and not having enough muscle mass, which may push people to use food, excessive exercise, or potentially dangerous supplements to increase muscle mass.
Can I Have Disordered Eating Behaviours Without an Eating Disorder?
Yes, it's possible to have disordered eating behaviours without a formal eating disorder diagnosis. Disordered eating behaviours are defined as unhealthy eating habits that are not severe enough to warrant an eating disorder diagnosis. Examples of disordered eating behaviours include:
- Skipping meals or fasting to lose weight
- Obsessively counting calories or tracking macros
- Engaging in restrictive diets or eliminating entire food groups
- Binge-eating occasionally
- Feeling guilty or shameful after eating
- Hiding to eat large amounts of food quickly until you feel uncomfortably full
- Using food as a coping mechanism for emotional distress
If you identify with any of these behaviours or if you have a negative body image, it's essential to seek help from a registered dietitian who specializes in disordered eating behaviours. Even if you don't have a formal eating disorder diagnosis, these behaviours can have negative impacts on your mental and physical health.
Dive into one of our recent articles about Diet Culture 101 to understand more about your relationship with food!
How Can Nutritional Therapy with a Dietitian Help You?
Nutritional therapy with a registered dietitian who specializes in eating disorders can be beneficial in several ways. Our dietitians provide personalized care tailored to your specific needs and circumstances. Here are some ways that nutritional therapy can help you:
- Develop a Positive Relationship with Food: Our dietitians work with you to identify and challenge negative thoughts and beliefs about food. They will help you develop a healthy relationship with food, which includes eating intuitively and without guilt or shame. You will also learn to embrace a normal and inclusive eating style.
- Improve body image and self-esteem: A dietitian can help you develop a positive body image and improve self-esteem by providing support, accountability, and motivation, and by guiding you through exercises and techniques that promote self-acceptance and positive self-talk.
- Restore Nutritional Status: Eating disorders can lead to nutrient deficiencies that can have significant impacts on your physical and mental health. Our dietitians will work with you to restore your nutritional status with nutrition education and a balanced diet, ensuring that you are getting all the nutrients you need to function optimally.
- Coping Strategies: Our dietitians will help you develop healthy coping strategies that don't involve food. These strategies will help you deal with negative emotions and stress without relying on food when you don’t feel good.
- Accountability and support: Our dietitians provide ongoing support and accountability throughout your recovery journey. They will help you navigate the challenges and setbacks that can arise during recovery and celebrate your successes.
TeamNutrition’s Dietitians for Eating Disorder Management
We are a team of registered dietitians nutritionists, members of our local Canadian regulatory body, who are able to help you improve your relationship with food and your body.
To ensure optimal and safe psycho-nutritional support:
- It is suggested that you inform your doctor of the situation to assess your health status: a reference from your doctor and/or his or her contact information could be requested;
- A multidisciplinary approach is often favorable for recovery: psychological support is strongly encouraged as a complement to the nutritional approach;
- If your state of health is more severely altered, other types of resources and services may be better adapted to your condition to ensure your recovery.
Why Choose TeamNutrition for Your Recovery Journey?
We recognize that every individual has unique dietary preferences and requirements, especially when it comes to eating disorder treatment. At TeamNutrition, our approach is far from one-size-fits-all; instead, we aim to understand your needs and support you on your journey towards recovery. Following a comprehensive dietary assessment, we create a personalized nutrition treatment plan that aligns with your current treatment, dietary preferences, and lifestyle. Choosing us also provides you with:
- Flexible Consultation Options: Whether you prefer online or in-person consultations, we offer a range of options from over 80 service locations across Canada.
- Ongoing Expertise Updates: Our professionals are committed to continuous education, staying up-to-date with the latest developments in eating disorder treatment, and adhering to professional standards.
- KoalaPro Health Platform: Access our exclusive mobile app, featuring tailored resources to aid in your recovery, including therapeutic exercises, and direct access to keep in touch with your professional during your journey to recovery.
- Insurance Coverage and Tax Benefits: Our services are typically covered by most private insurance companies and may also qualify for tax deductions, making it easier to access high-quality nutritional support for your eating disorder treatment.
Make an Appointment for Improving Your Relationship with Food
To improve your relationship with food and start your journey towards a healthier lifestyle, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with our registered dietitians. They specialize in providing nutritional therapy for individuals with eating disorders, disordered eating behaviours, and other related issues.
With their personalized care, you can develop a positive relationship with food, restore your nutritional status, learn healthy coping strategies, and receive ongoing support and accountability throughout your recovery journey. Contact us today to make an appointment and take the first step towards achieving your goals and loving your life again.