Savor an explosion of rustic flavors, where legumes and pasta blend harmoniously. Easily prepare this comforting soup and delight in every spoonful!
- 180 ml (¾ cup) mini shell-style pasta
- 125 ml (½ cup) dry red lentils
- 60 ml (¼ cup) reduced-sodium chicken broth powder
- 60 ml (¼ cup) textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) dried onion flakes
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) dried parsley
- 3 ml (½ tsp) lemon pepper
- 125 ml (½ cup) barley
- In a 500 ml (2 cup) canning jar, layer all the ingredients, one after the other, to create distinct layers.
- In a large pot, combine the contents of the jar with 2 liters (8 cups) of water and vegetables (fresh or frozen), if desired. You can also add 1 liter (4 cups) of water and a 28oz can of no-salt-added diced tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes or until the legumes and grains are tender. Adjust the seasoning. The next day, add broth as needed if the soup is too thick.