- 250 mL (1 cup) rice
- 454 g firm or extra-firm tofu
- 60 mL (4 tablespoons) cornstarch
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) cumin
- 2.5 mL (½ teaspoon) cinnamon
- 2.5 mL (½ teaspoon) ground ginger
- Pepper, to taste
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) vegetable oil
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) hoisin sauce
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) lemon juice
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) tahini
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 750 mL (3 cups) cooked vegetables of your choice (bok choy, bean sprouts, green beans etc.)
- Chopped green onions
- Crushed peanuts
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Pat dry the tofu with paper towels and cut into cubes.
- In a bowl, mix cornstarch with cumin, cinnamon, ground ginger and pepper. Add the cubed tofu and mix well so that all the tofu cubes are well coated.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add tofu cubes and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally so that the tofu does not burn.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add hoisin sauce, lemon juice, tahini and soy sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over rice with vegetables of your choice and garnish to taste.
Nutritional value (per serving)
Calories 460 kcal
Fat 13 g
Carbohydrates 52 g
Fibre 5 g
Protein 27 g
Sodium 483 mg