A simple, fun, and nutritious recipe that will please everyone and truly takes very little time to make.
- 454 g (1 lb) of ground turkey, or chicken
- 1 egg
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) of chili powder
- 1.25 ml (¼ tsp) of cumin
- 1.25 ml (¼ tsp) of smoked paprika
- Pepper and salt, to taste
- 5 corn tortillas (6 inches)
For the sauce:
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) of ketchup
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) of light mayonnaise
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) of relish
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) of mustard
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) of plain yogurt, 0%
- 100 g or 5 slices of light cheddar cheese (1 slice of 20 g / tortilla)
- 2-3 lettuce leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 20 pickle slices, optional
Note: You can totally use 6-inch whole wheat tortillas if you have no gluten intolerance/allergy. It is even possible to make a vegetarian version with rehydrated textured vegetable protein as a replacement for ground meat.
- In a medium bowl, mix the meat, egg, and seasonings.
- Spread about ⅓ cup of this mixture on each tortilla, leveling it with your fingers. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, prepare the sauce by mixing all the ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, place a tortilla, meat side down. Cook over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes, then flip.
- Add a slice of cheese on the cooked meat and continue cooking for an additional minute to brown the tortilla and slightly melt the cheese. Set aside.
- Repeat the process for each tortilla.
- When serving, garnish each tortilla with some sauce and top as desired.
Keeps 3-4 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container, separated from toppings.