- 250 mL (1 cup) unsweetened applesauce
- 250 mL (1 cup) unsweetened vegetable drink (see note)
- 125 mL (½ cup) maple syrup
- 80 mL (1/3 cup) natural nut butter
- 10 mL (2 teaspoons) vanilla extract
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) white vinegar
- 500 mL (2 cups) whole wheat flour
- 10 mL (2 teaspoons) baking powder
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) baking soda
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) cinnamon
- 2 small apples, seeded and diced
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
Note: Soy beverage is suggested since it is higher in protein. However, any plant-based beverage or milk is fine for this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) and grease 12 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine applesauce, vegetable drink, maple syrup, nut butter, vanilla extract and vinegar.
- Add flour, baking powder and cinnamon and mix well. Add apples and walnuts, reserving a few pieces to decorate muffins.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cups and top with the reserved apple and walnut pieces.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool before unmolding and enjoying.
Calories 200 kcal
Fat 6 g
Carbohydrates 32 g
Fibre 5 g
Protein 5 g
Sodium 8 mg
Can be kept for 4 days in the refrigerator or 2 months in the freezer.