Indulge in our flavorful Cinnamon Apple Barley Pudding. This comforting recipe combines the sweetness of apples with the warm aroma of cinnamon to create a healthy and delicious dessert option. Perfect for a cozy treat!
- 500 ml (2 cups) water
- 125 ml (½ cup) pearled barley
- 4 apples, peeled and grated
- 500 ml (2 cups) 1% milk
- 60 ml (¼ cup) all-purpose flour
- 7.5 ml (1 ½ tsp) ground cinnamon
- 250 ml (1 cup) plain Greek yogurt 0% M.F.
- 10 ml (2 tsp) vanilla extract
- 5 ml (1 tsp) brown sugar or maple syrup, per serving (optional, to taste)
Note: Pearled barley can be substituted with hulled barley. Soak hulled barley in water for at least 4 hours before using to reduce cooking time.
- In a medium saucepan, pour water and place barley and grated apples. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat until barley is tender (about 30-35 minutes). Set aside.
- In a second medium saucepan, combine milk, flour, cinnamon and vanilla. Heat over medium heat until boiling, stirring constantly with a spatula. Cook for 2-3 minutes, the mixture will thicken. Remove from heat.
- Add yogurt and barley mixture to the second saucepan and mix well.
- Serve cold or hot with brown sugar or maple syrup, to taste.
Can be stored for 3 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.