Discover our delicious recipe for Zucchini Cannelloni. Indulge in these flavorful zucchini rolls stuffed with a delicious filling, providing a light and healthy alternative to traditional cannelloni. Experience a burst of flavors without any guilt!
- 1 recipe of easy tofu "Ricotta" (or a 400g (14 oz) container of light ricotta cheese)
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (approx. 10 ml or 2 tsp minced garlic in a jar)
- 2-3 medium green zucchini (or a very large zucchini from your garden!)
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- Grated Parmesan or mozzarella cheese, to taste (optional)
Note: Fresh basil can be replaced by 15 ml (1 tbsp) of dried basil.
For a low FODMAP version, use potted garlic flower and tomato coulis (passata).
- Prepare the tofu "ricotta".
- Stir basil and garlic into ricotta. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel zucchini lengthwise to create long ribbons. Twist zucchini to form ribbons on all sides without using the center (See Note)
- In the bottom of a 20-cm (8-inch) round ovenproof dish, spread tomato sauce.
- Place a ribbon of zucchini on the work surface. Using a measuring spoon, place 15 ml (1 tbsp) of ricotta cheese on the end of the zucchini ribbon. Roll into a small cylinder and place vertically in the dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes, garnish with cheese if desired, then broil for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is well grilled.
- Just before serving, garnish with basil leaves if desired. For a more substantial meal, serve with brown rice and/or vegetables.
Note: if you want a quick and easy version, you can arrange the zucchini ribbons, ricotta and tomato sauce in a lasagna shape in a 20 cm (8 in.) square pan.
Can be stored for 3 days in the refrigerator.