Here's a vegetarian Caesar salad with extra protein and a lighter dressing than the one you find in restaurants or grocery stores, but just as delicious! For an even less conventional version, feel free to add any veggies you have in the fridge (cucumber, bell peppers, alfalfa sprouts, etc.)!
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) of water
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) of olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) of Dijon mustard
- 10 ml (2 tsp) of dried basil or Italian herbs
- 10 ml (2 tsp) of hot sauce (like Sriracha)
- 240 g (1 block) of tempeh, cut into pieces
- 4 slices of multigrain bread, cut into cubes
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) of olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) of nutritional yeast (optional)
- Pepper and salt, to taste
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) light mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 10 ml (2 tsp) capers
- 10 ml (2 tsp) Dijon mustard
- 10 ml (2 tsp) garlic-infused olive oil
- Pepper, to taste
- 8 cups (2 L) roughly chopped romaine lettuce and/or kale
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh Parmesan, for sprinkling
- In a dish or large sealable bag (like Ziploc), mix all the ingredients for the tempeh marinade and add the tempeh. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature or longer in the refrigerator. (You can even do this the day before.)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a bowl, mix the diced bread with olive oil, nutritional yeast, pepper, and salt.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the marinated tempeh in a pan over medium-high heat for about 5 to 7 minutes, flipping it occasionally until nicely grilled.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Divide the salad into bowls, add the tempeh, croutons, and dressing, and mix well. Sprinkle with Parmesan and enjoy!