Embark on a Middle Eastern culinary journey with our Spiced Middle Eastern Barley recipe. Discover the perfect fusion of authentic ingredients, crafting a flavorful and historically rich dining experience.
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) plant-based margarine
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) ground ginger
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) ground turmeric
- 250 ml (1 cup) pearl barley, rinsed
- 625 ml (2 1/2 cups) vegetable broth, reduced in salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, melt the margarine over low heat and add the spices. Stir for about 1 minute.
- Add the barley and stir to coat well.
- Add stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until the liquid has completely evaporated and the grains are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired, then serve.