- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) plant-based margarine
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) ground ginger
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) ground turmeric
- 250 ml (1 cup) pearl barley, rinsed
- 625 ml (2 1/2 cups) vegetable broth, reduced in salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, melt the margarine over low heat and add the spices. Stir for about 1 minute.
- Add the barley and stir to coat well.
- Add stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until the liquid has completely evaporated and the grains are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired, then serve.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories 216 kcal
Fat 4 g
Carbohydrates 42 g
Fiber 8 g
Protein 6 g
Sodium 52 mg