This recipe can be served as a light appetizer or a side dish. You can also add some pomegranate seeds or crushed nuts to add a touch of crunch and sweetness to your dish. Enjoy your meal!
For the grilled eggplants:
- 1 large eggplant
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- The juice of one lemon (or 60 ml / ¼ cup)
- 10 ml (2 tsp) sumac
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried Italian herbs
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) red pepper flakes (adjust to your spice preference)
- Pepper and salt, to taste
For the feta topping:
- 60 ml (¼ cup) crumbled feta cheese
- A few fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Chopped chives
For the yogurt sauce:
- 60 ml (¼ cup) plain yogurt
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh chives, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- The juice of half a lemon (or 30 ml / 2 tbsp)
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your barbecue to medium-high heat.
- Cut the eggplants into slices about ½ inch thick.
- In a bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, dried herbs, sumac, salt, and pepper. Brush the eggplant slices on both sides with this seasoned oil mixture.
- Place the eggplant slices on the preheated barbecue and grill for about 5 minutes on each side, until nicely tender and golden. Watch carefully to avoid burning.
- While cooking, mix yogurt, fresh chives, lemon juice, black pepper, and Dijon mustard. Refrigerate until serving.
- Place the grilled eggplants on a serving plate. Pour the sauce and add the crumbled feta cheese and fresh herbs. Enjoy immediately!
Can be kept for up to 4 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container, without toppings.