Discover our delicious recipe for Vegetarian Tourtière. Enjoy a meat-free twist on this classic Canadian dish, packed with savory vegetables and aromatic herbs. Easy to make and full of flavor, it's a must-try for both vegetarians and meat-lovers alike!
For the filling
- 5-10 ml (1 to 2 tsp) canola oil
- 1 onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 medium potatoes
- 250 ml (1 cup) chopped mushrooms
- 1 carrot
- 250 ml (1 cup) vegetable broth
- 1 Gusta Classic Traditional Spice seitan roast
- Pinch of salt
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) tomato paste
- 5 ml (1 tsp) apple cider vinegar
For the pie crust
- 500 ml (2 cups) nutri flour (or other choice of wheat flour)
- Pinch of salt
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) cold water
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) canola oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) honey
- Finely chop the onion using a food processor and cut the celery into small cubes.
- Sauté the onion and celery in a saucepan over low-medium heat with 5 to 10 ml of canola oil.
- Meanwhile, dice the potatoes, chop the mushrooms using a food processor, and grate the carrot using the food processor as well.
- Add the vegetables and vegetable broth to the saucepan. Stir and cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, continue cooking uncovered until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has evaporated.
- Chop the seitan roast using the food processor (slightly larger than ground meat consistency).
- Add the seitan, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of salt to the saucepan and mix well. Adjust the taste if needed. Set aside.
- For the pie crust, mix the flour and salt in a medium bowl, and the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Make sure the water, oil, and honey mixture is well combined.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the flour is moistened, without overmixing.
- Press the mixture together to form two disks about 2cm thick.
- Roll out each dough disk between two sheets of parchment paper until larger than the pie plate.
- Transfer the crust to the pie plate. Add the filling and cover with the second crust. Seal the edges of the pie with a fork and make vents in the middle.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.