Indulge in our irresistible recipe for crispy and golden Apple Turnovers. Discover the perfect blend of tender apples, sweet maple syrup, and warming cinnamon encased in flaky phyllo dough, creating a delectable treat that will satisfy your cravings with every bite.
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) cornstarch
- 2 ml (½ tsp) ground cinnamon
- 3 Cortland apples, seeded and diced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) maple syrup
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- ½ package of 454 g (8 sheets) phyllo pastry
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) plant-based beverage of choice or water
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil for brushing on turnovers
- Maple sugar, for garnish (optional)
Note: Phyllo dough is generally vegan. If you are concerned about this, check the package to be sure. This recipe calls for 8 sheets of phyllo dough. To make the extra 8 sheets worthwhile, why not double the recipe or make delicious Vegan Spanakopitas with it?
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a saucepan, off the heat, mix well the cornstarch and cinnamon. Add apples, maple syrup and lemon juice; toss to coat all apple pieces.
- In a saucepan over medium, heat and cook the apples for 5 minutes, stirring often, until slightly softened. Set aside to let cool.
- On a damp cloth, place 2 sheets of phyllo dough on top of each other. Cut into 4 equal rectangles.
- Place about 30 mL (2 tbsp) of apple filling on each rectangle, at the end close to you.
- Using a kitchen brush, brush the edges of each rectangle with plant-based beverage.
- Gently fold over the edges and roll into a cylinder. Repeat to make 4 rolls.
- Repeat steps 4 to 7 for a total of 12 turnovers. If you want to enjoy them later, it's time to freeze them.
- Place the turnovers on the baking sheet and brush with oil. Sprinkle with maple sugar if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Be careful not to burn them.
- Serve immediately, they can be reheated in the oven if needed.