Discover our delicious recipe for Vegetarian Pea Patties, a healthy and flavorful option for plant-based food enthusiasts. These patties are easy to make and provide a delicious alternative to meat-based dishes. Elevate your vegetarian cooking with this mouthwatering recipe.
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1 block (454 g) firm or extra-firm tofu
- 1 - 540 ml (19 oz) can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 375 ml (1 ½ cups) frozen peas, thawed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 60 ml (¼ cup) all-purpose white flour
- 60 ml (¼ cup) breadcrumbs
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 ml (½ tsp) ground coriander
- 2 ml (½ tsp) ground cumin
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
- In a food processor, chop the onion and garlic. Add the tofu and chickpeas to the food processor. Puree until the paste is sticky.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add peas, eggs, flour, bread crumbs, baking powder, spices and salt. Mix well.
- Heat 15 ml (1 tbsp) oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Shape 4 patties using about 60 ml (¼ cup) of mixture per patties and place in the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn the patties over, then crush them with a spatula to obtain patties about 7 cm (3 inches) in diameter and 1 cm (½ inch) thick. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until the patties are golden brown.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 two more times to make 12 patties in total.
- Serve hot with mayonnaise or tzatziki yogurt sauce if desired.
Can be kept for 3 days in the refrigerator or 2 months in the freezer.