Indulge in the robust flavors of this classic Italian sauce, enhanced with tofu for a plant-based twist. Easy to make and packed with savory goodness, it's a must-try for pasta lovers!
- 2 jars of tomato sauce of about 650ml, low sodium (preferably pomodoro, marinara or tomato basil)
- 454 g (1 block) of firm tofu
- ½ garlic head
- 250 ml (1 cup) sliced Kalamata olives
- 60 ml (¼ cup) of coarsely chopped capers
- Cayenne peppers to taste
- 1 250 ml (5 cups) packed spinach, coarsely chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat the two jars of sauce over medium heat.
- Cut the garlic cloves into thin slices and stir into the sauce.
- Simmer the garlic cloves in the sauce until they become translucent and tender. About 25-30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add water as needed if the texture becomes too thick. Cover the pan to keep as much liquid as possible.
- In the meantime, prepare the other ingredients of the recipe. Chop the tofu block with a food processor or with a knife, slice the Kalamata olives, coarsely chop the capers and spinach.
- Once the garlic is tender, add all the other ingredients and simmer for approximatly 5 minutes. Enjoy on pasta, rice or quinoa.