For the filling
- 6 eggs, hard boiled, cooled
- 80 mL (⅓ cup) cottage cheese
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper
For the sandwiches
- 6 slices of whole grain bread
- A few lettuce leaves
Note: Check this tutorial on how to cook your hard-boiled eggs to perfection.
- In a bowl, mash the eggs with a fork.
- Add the other "topping" ingredients and mix well.
- Spread ⅓ of the filling on a slice of bread, add a lettuce leaf and close the sandwich with a second slice of bread. Repeat for the remaining two sandwiches.
The filling can be prepared ahead of time and the sandwiches can be assembled just before serving.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Calories 430 kcal
Fat 19 g
Carbohydrates 41 g
Fibre 5 g
Protein 25 g
Sodium 605 mg
Note : Adding cottage cheese to the filling reduces the fat content and increases the protein content of the egg salad.
Can be kept for 2 days in the refrigerator and does not freeze.