Approved by our Registered Dietitian, Nutritionist
- 300 g short pasta (fusilli, rotini, farfalle, etc.)
- 80 mL (⅓ cup) pine nuts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 80 mL (⅓ cup) pesto
- 80 mL (⅓ cup) sodium-reduced tomato sauce
- 60 mL (¼ cup) sun dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- 3 cooked chicken breasts (about 600 g), cut into large pieces
- 1 can (375 mL) sliced black olives, rinsed and drained
- Parmesan cheese, to taste (optional)
- Chopped fresh basil, to taste (optional)
- In a saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, place pine nuts and dry roast over medium-high heat, stirring often, until nuts are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
- In the same large skillet, sauté onion in olive oil over medium-high heat.
- When onion is cooked, add pesto, tomato sauce, sun-dried tomatoes, chicken and olives. Mix well.
- Add pasta and pine nuts. Mix gently.
- If desired, garnish with parmesan and basil just before serving.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Calories 387 kcal
Fat 16 g
Carbohydrates 33 g
Fibre 2 g
Protein 29 g
Sodium 329 mg
Can be kept for 3 days in the refrigerator. Does not freeze.