- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and halved
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 250 ml (1 cup) cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 250 ml (1 cup) cooked brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) garlic, chopped
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) smoked paprika
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) miso paste *
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) sambal oelek or sriracha (optional)
*Miso is a fermented paste made from soy, cereal and salt that can be found in most organic grocery stores. You can replace it in this recipe with soy sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the two red bell pepper halves on the baking sheet and drizzle with 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of olive oil. Season generously with pepper and add a pinch of salt,
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While your bell peppers are roasting, place all the other ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the roasted peppers and puree with a hand mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Nutritional value (per ¼ cup serving)
Calories 175 kcal
Fat 7 g
Carbohydrates 21 g
Fiber 7 g
Protein 8 g
Sodium 110 mg
Enjoy with crudités, crackers or in a sandwich!
Will keep for 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator and will not freeze.