Indulge in our flavorful recipe of fiber-rich pizza dough. A delicious and nourishing base for healthy and tasty homemade pizzas. Fuel up with fiber while enjoying every bite!
- 750 ml (1 ½ cups) warm water (see note)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sugar
- 10 ml (2 tsp) active dry yeast (about 1 packet)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) StillGood spent grain flour (see note)
- 10 ml (2 tsp) olive oil
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) salt
- 500 ml (2 cups) white flour + for the work surface
- 425 ml (1 ¾ cups) whole wheat flour
Note: The water should be about 30°C (90°F). For this amount of water, it takes about 45 seconds in the microwave on high.
Spent grain is the residue from the production of beer and other grain-based beverages. By using StillGood spent grain flour, we contribute to reduce food waste. However, if this product is not available to you, ground flaxseed can be substituted for spent grain meal in this recipe.
Prepare the dough
- In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in the warm water, stirring until there are no more sugar crystals. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and mix gently. Let the yeast work for about 15 minutes until a foam forms on the surface.
- Add the spent grain flour, olive oil and salt and mix.
- Add, one cup at a time, the flours while mixing. With your hands, form a ball of dough. On a floured work surface, knead the dough for about 10 minutes, flouring if the dough sticks to your fingers (see Tip).
- In a large, lightly oiled bowl, place the dough ball. Cover with a clean, damp cloth and place in a warm place for about 2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size (see Tip).
Tip: You can also knead the dough in a stand mixer with the hook attachment. An ideal place to rise the dough is in a turned-off oven with the light on or in a microwave oven with the door ajar to leave the light on.
Prepare the crusts
- Cut the ball of dough in 2 or in 6 if you want to make individual pizzas. At this point, you can freeze the dough or use it immediately to form pizza crusts.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
- For each ball of dough: Form a disk. With both fists, press down in the center, then outward to push the air out to the edges. Then, hold one side of the dough with one hand, then with the other hand, gently pull outward to stretch it. Turn dough and repeat to stretch all sides. Transfer to a pizza pan.
- Top with sauce, toppings of your choice and cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes until crust is firm and cheese is melted and slightly toasted.
Can be kept 1 day in the refrigerator or 2 months in the freezer in an airtight container or bag.