Discover our delectable recipe for Cheddar and Hot Pepper Scones, with a gluten-free and low FODMAP option. These savory scones are packed with flavorful cheddar and a spicy kick, perfect for a gluten-free or low FODMAP diet. Try them now!
- 375 ml (1 ½ cups) all-purpose gluten-free flour (Queen St. Bakery type) and a little more for flouring
- 7.5 ml (1/2 tbsp) baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 40 ml (2 1/2 tbsp) margarine or butter
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) plain Greek yogurt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) shredded light marbled cheddar cheese
- 7.5 ml (1/2 tbsp) hot peppers, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, green part only, finely chopped
Note: Plain Greek yogurt is high in FODMAPs. However, it can easily be replaced with plain lactose-free yogurt without altering the result.
The hot peppers can be Piri Piri peppers or pickled jalapenos for example. Here, I used 2 Piri Piri peppers for a total of about 7.5 ml (½ tbsp) of finely chopped hot peppers.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Using a fork, stir in margarine to obtain a crumbly texture.
- Add yogurt, cheddar cheese, hot peppers and green onions and mix briefly until flour is gone. Do not overwork the dough.
- Flour the dough ball and place on a floured work surface. Shape into a large rectangle about 2.5 cm (1 inch) thick. Cut the rectangle into 8 equal pieces. You can shape them into circles or leave them as is.
- Divide the scones among the baking sheets, spacing them out, and bake for 25 minutes or until they are lightly browned on the bottom.
Can be stored for 4 days at room temperature or 3 months in the freezer.