Have you ever thought about finding lentils in your donuts? We did, and the results were amazing!
- 125 mL (½ cup) dry coral lentils, rinsed
- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) water
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- 250 mL (1 cup) whole wheat flour
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2,5 mL (½ teaspoon) ground ginger
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 125 mL (½ cup) maple syrup
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) canola oil
- 1 large apple, peeled and grated
- In a small saucepan, combine lentils, water and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer 5 minutes longer to evaporate water. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg, maple syrup and canola oil at high speed for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture has increased in volume. Reduce mixer speed to low and stir in the lentils and apple.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the dry ingredients gradually.
- Spoon the batter into the donut cavities, filling 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops harden slightly. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the mold.
- If desired, brush donuts with a little water and dip in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
Nutritional Information (per donut, without sugar topping):
Calories: 124 kcal
Fat: 3 g
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Fibre: 2 g
Protein: 3 g
Sodium: 142 mg