Discover our delicious recipe for vegetarian Chinese dumplings. These tasty dumplings are made without meat, providing a healthy and flavorful option for all Chinese cuisine lovers. Get ready to be captivated by these delicious vegetarian dumplings bursting with authentic flavors.
- 1 block (454 g) firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 500 ml (2 cups) cabbage (green, napa or bok choy), shredded
- 2 large carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 green onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) ginger, grated
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) cilantro, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) light soy sauce
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) hoisin sauce
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) sesame oil
- Salt, pepper and red chili flakes, to taste
- 70-80 dumplings dough (round or square) (see our homemade wonton wrappers recipe)
- Vegetable oil
- Drain the tofu well before cutting it into pieces. Set aside.
- Place cabbage, carrots, red bell pepper, green onions and garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Squeeze the filling with your hands to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients and mix well.
- Moisten the outline of a square/round dough with water. Place 5ml (1 tsp.) of the filling in the center of each dumpling dough square. To close, join the two opposite sides of the dumpling dough. Place the dumplings that are ready on a cookie sheet with parchment paper and cover with a damp cloth.
- Boil ½ inch of water in a pan or wok. Cover the pan with a steam basket. When the water begins to boil, lower the temperature to medium heat. Cover the basket with a thin layer of oil or parchment paper and add the dumplings (making sure they're not touching each other). Steam for 10-15 minutes.
- When cooked, serve immediately or put them back on the baking tray, cover with a damp cloth, and put them in the oven to keep them warm at a temperature of 200°C.